Thursday, April 21, 2011

A color walk

It was a little cloudy. It was a little gray, but I was itchin' to get outside so I came up with a little activity to do at the park. I actually did not come up with this activity at all, I read about it in a magazine while waiting at the doctor's office and I can't for the life of me remember which one. Sorry.

 I took a cardboard egg carton and filled the insides with different colors. I then loaded the children in to the car and we headed off to the park. Our local county park is filled with nature trails and has a little lake that you can go fishing in. Big Sis loves to take her binoculars out and look at all the birds that gather around the little lake. Its really a great place to get out doors with out having to drive far. When we got out of the car, I explained to Big Sis and Birdy that we would be looking for things to fill the egg cartons with. I explained that we needed something that matched all the different colors of each of the twelve compartments.

You can see that Big Sis brought her book along. She obviously thought this would be no fun at all, but after just a few steps along the trail she bent down and picked up a yellow flower. She was so excited. Once the first color was found, the game was afoot! The girls raced all over trying to be the first ones to fill their egg carton. The hardest color to find seemed to be blue, which I thought would be easy with all the bluebonnets out, but Big Sis refused to pick a bluebonnet because, "Its our state flower and you aren't supposed to pick them!" She finally agreed to pull one petal off of a bluebonnet and put that in the blue compartment.


After walking a little while Big Sis pulled Birdy aside to show her a plant we call The Ticklish Weed. I'm not sure what the proper name of the plant is, but its fascinating. The tiny leaves flinch when you brush up against them. You can see here, the girls are having lots of fun tickling the weeds.

Once the carton was filled we began to look for other things along the trail. The trail led in to a wooded area filled with oak trees with low hanging branches, perfect for climbing, so we took a climbing break. Big Sis was so good about helping her sister get up the trees.

 Bug hung in as long as he could, but decided after too long he needed a nap. We had so much fun on our colorful nature walk. I can't wait for the next one!

4 comments:

  1. What a neat idea to get out and do something! And so awesome that Ivy got into it after not wanting to do it. Those days seem to be the best :)

    Thanks for linking up to It's Playtime!! I hope to see what play ideas you have for us next Thursday!

    Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great outdoor activity! Thanks for sharing at It's Playtime!

    Rachele @Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea - we love to go on nature hunt walks, but I've never thought to collect colors like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love nature walks. The egg carton is a great idea! I know my boys would love this idea. However, like you said blue might be hard, so we might wait until April so we could find bluebonnets also!

    Stopping by from Best Kids Activites of 2011 Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.