Monday, August 22, 2011

Light Table

Well I have been inspired. Everywhere I look there are light tables and awesome, awesome activities for light tables. So when I saw this DIY light table from Teach Preschool, I knew that I could have one of my very own!

I made mine a little differently. For one, I couldn't find the cordless lights for the inside, but I think mine turned out great. I'll be tweaking it for a while I'm sure. I found a bin with a lid and headed over to IKEA for an under the cabinet light to use inside. I found one for around 9 bucks. I lined the bottom of the bin with shelf paper and attached my light to the lid. We turned the whole thing upside down and, viola!
Our brand new light table!

 I found these clear plastic magnetic blocks on sale at Lakeshore Learning. The magnets allow you to build 3d structures.
 These little circles have metal rings which work well with the magnetic blocks.

 I found these slides in the garage. They're some of mine from high school art, but I am pretty sure I have some from actual artists out there some where. 
If I keep looking, I'll find them.
 Our chiropractor kindly donated these x-rays of hands and feet.

 Birdy loved looking at all the bones. She has been very interested in bones lately. She asks me what all of the names are and is constantly feeling around on her body to find new ones, so I knew she would enjoy seeing pictures of all the little bones of the hands and feet.
He says next time we come in he may have some of necks and spines for us!
Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. LOL. part of why I did so well in anatomy was that even when I was birdy's age, I would ask my dad to teach me which bones were which.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice to have a parent who can answer all those questions. I don't have a clue. She has to ask Jeff or the Chiropractor. Now, if she wanted to know how to mix the perfect shade of aqua marine...that I could help with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your newest follower from It's Playtime and loving your light table and your xrays. You have me thinking now =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I'm so glad you found me. I have actually tweaked the table a bit since this post and I found some beautiful slides of impressionist art so we will be playing with that very soon! So glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, My son came home from Kindergarten wanting magnetic blocks like they have in his class. Going through Googles Images, your photo has the blocks just like the ones in his class. When I look online at Lakeshore Learning they do not show these as an option. Do you happen to have the original packaging so I can try to shop for them by brand name? Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have the packaging. I purchased these a while back, but the product is called Magna-tiles. Here is a link for you. Hope that helps!
      http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp;jsessionid=QvsdbyWhmrTccT2G9Y9Kz2rpjhl4dCcn8cL4QJGcJFj7QNy3LsYY!718792817!328748541?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C897%2C808&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1348611165379

      Delete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.