Friday, September 23, 2011

Baby play Friday #3: Golf Ball Chutes

I often write that when I am trying to come up with something fun and exciting for the girls to do, Bug often wants to join in the fun. Well this week we flipped it. I set up this fun easy baby play activity for Bug to do, only to find out that it was good times for the whole family.

Here is what we set up. We leaned these PVC pipes up on the arm of the sofa. You can see they curve right up over the arm, I'll talk more about that later.


On the other end of the sofa we set up a laundry basket for collecting.

And underneath the arm of the sofa we set up our basket full of golf balls, and then the fun began.

This is a great example of a "cause and effect" toy that babies love so much. Bug spent the whole morning popping golf balls in to the chutes and watching them zoom across the sofa and plop in to the laundry basket. Once all the golf balls were collected in the basket I would help him transfer them back to the first basket. He had so much fun, and soon Birdy was joining in. It became more than just a baby play activity, soon it was a fun indoor activity for both age groups

So more about the lovely curved pipes. This could easily be done with straight pipes, but I had originally been trying to create something else with the pipes and so had tried to shaped them. You can do this by placing them in your oven for about 10 minutes on a low temperature (around 250 or 300) then, using oven mitts, you can take the pipes and bend them in to all kinds of fun shapes. My husband told me that his friend made pull up rings for his garage this way. I'm still saving these curved pipes for our eventual project but they worked perfectly for this activity as well.

So now that you have all been armed with this information I would love to see what wonderful things you come up with to do with it! I bet it will be amazing!

9 comments:

  1. How fun! And I never knew that PVC pipes could be shaped! Now I've got all kinds of fun ideas running through my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific, simple activity! Thanks for sharing it- and I love the title for your blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin@Sense of WonderOctober 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM

    @Katey, Are you a Rachel Carson fan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. Stopping over from Science Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! We'll definitely be trying this. By the way, I really love the "cobwebs be quiet" quote that you have on your home page. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin@Sense of WonderOctober 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM

    I saw that quote in a collection of scrap booking quotes and loved it. I think it describes my mothering style perfectly.(I'm not big on house work!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so fun! we are doing a week of fall & collected acorns monday. i was planning on just having one pipe for the acorn to travel through, but am totally going to use three & attempt to shape them! thanks for the super idea!!! laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just thought I'd let you know I included a link to your golf ball pipes on my personal blog. Such a cute idea! Thanks for the post!

    Amy Senter

    aspoolofthread.etsy.com

    http://www.amyroachsenter.blogspot.com/2013/05/105-things-to-do-this-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.