Friday, September 2, 2011

Puffy Paint 3D Creations!

Man oh man, did we have some sloppy messy fun today! We made puffy paint by adding white Elmer's glue and paint to shaving cream! Once you get it mixed up it creates this glorious colorful foam paint that will dry in to these cool mountains of color.

The ratio if shaving cream to glue is tricky. If you have too much shaving cream and not enough glue, it won't dry well. If you have too much glue and not enough shaving cream it won't get good lift. You just have to play with it. We added the color with a dab of tempera paint. Sorry I'm not very exact with the ingredients. We tend to be a fly by the seat of our pants kind of family and frankly, I am no good with recipes. Just know you need way more shaving cream than you do glue. So maybe a table spoon of glue for every half a cup on shaving cream. If doesn't seem fluffy enough than add a bit more shaving cream. That is about as exact as I can get it.


Birdy chose a black sheet of paper and a white sheet of paper to see which one the colors looked best on. I think they look great on both!
One of the things I love about puffy paint is that you don't have to just limit yourself to a paint brush. You could use a knife, a spoon... 

 ...Or your hands!







Here is another masterpiece.






This is her final piece, where she unloaded every last blob of puffy paint on to the paper. This does take a while to dry so find a place you can set this with out being in the way, but it is one lovely way to spend an afternoon!

4 comments:

  1. This looks way fun. I'd better go pick up some dollar store shaving cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I know some messy kids who will love this idea! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Play Academy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin@SenseofWonderSeptember 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM

    This was fun, my kiddos seem to thing the best activities are the ones where they can make the biggest messes. Same at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! My boys will love this one! We made some unsuccessful "puffy paint" a few weeks ago. This will be a much bigger hit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.