Monday, October 17, 2011

Crayon Melt Pumpkin

All summer we have seen these beautiful crayon melts on Pinterest and facebook and we have been waiting for an opportunity to make one. But we decided to shake it up a little last week and glue our crayons on to pumpkins. I helped the girls with the glue gun (no photos there as I was determined to not have any burned fingers) and then the girls had to do something they don't normally have to do. . . share.



As it is just the two of them, and as I usually have at least two of what ever we are working with, it occurred to me that they are not used to having to take turns or wait on one another. I only had one hair dryer for this activity and I was curious to see how they would handle it.

Birdy and CC did beautifully. They waited patiently while the other took their turn at the dryer, they even helped by turning the pumpkin so the crayons melted evenly. They were so excited to see wax melt and drip down their pumpkins.


CC couldn't wait to show her mom when she was picked up. I think part of it was the pumpkin itself, but part of the excitement was also working together at something brand new. I think if gave them a real feeling of accomplishment. It also left them with a pretty cool pumpkin.

I linked this post with...
Science Sunday
The Sunday Showcase




17 comments:

  1. Stopping by from momloop =) I'm actually a second timer to you blog ( I commented on the post about your daughters creativity) and love the green background you have chosen, it is so calming. I also think that you have a very good mix of pictures and writing. I like seeing the blogs on your sidebar and would also love to see your top posts too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I love the idea of combining this activity with pumpkins! Have you linked this to It's Playtime this week too? (I haven't looked through the posts yet!) If not, please do! I'd love to feature it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin@Sense of WonderOctober 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM

    Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I admit I have been putting off a "top post" just because it is still a fairly new blog and I'm not sure I would have a whole lot to put in, but I think it is a great idea and I should just go for it! And thank you for your earlier comment as well. I'm sorry I didn't respond right away. That girl truly amazes me sometimes. She has made me think and rethink priorities on so many occasions. Love her to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krisitn@Sense of WonderOctober 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

    @Anna, Thank you! I did link up, but I can always link another one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and not only am I now following you, but we also had to do your pumpkin crayon melting right after visiting your post! I am going to try and post and link back to you =) - Lovingmama (aka Amanda) at The Educators' Spin On It!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's AWESOME!! What a fun project.... I can just hear the giggling now!!!

    I am starting a Linky Party if you want to link up at http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-ever-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popping in from Living Life Intentionally Linky Party & had to say how cool this looks! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is so creative & WAY FUN. Oh, I found you from LLI Linky Party, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool is that! I didn't know a hair dryer would melt crayons! And they turned out so cool looking, too!
    stopping by from BF for first reader sway and just had to comment before I look over the rest or your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! Found you through the playtime posts! :) New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to be featured this week on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin@Sense of WonderOctober 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM

    Wow, thanks ladies! I will say this, it was a lot messier than I thought it was going to be. I'm still finding wax everywhere. If you try this at home you may want to do it outside. :)
    @Aimee Thank you! This will be my first time to be featured on the Showcase! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finaly, something I can do with John and get rid of all of these crayon pieces. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristin@Sense of WonderOctober 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

    I bet he would love this! Post pictures if you do it, I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute idea. I am planning to take my preschoolers to a pumpkin patch on Friday. We will bring back a few pumpkins, dig out some broken crayons and do this activity. They will love it!

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.