Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No bad weather, just bad clothes

There are two challenges going on this week. The first is  the 30 Days to Hands on Play, which is still in full swing. Every day through the month of November we have been given a play idea and charged with the task of spending at least 15 minutes of uninterrupted play with our child.
 
The other event taking place this week is the Everyday Play Day sponsored by Active Kids Club and Polarn O. Pyret USA. The idea is to get outside everyday regardless of the weather.






Today's play challenge from the 30 Days to Hands on Play was to play with junk. Today's weather challenge for playing out side was that it was raining. So we put on our rain boots and jackets, gathered out junk and went out side. I love multitasking!

I'm not a big shopper. I try to only buy what I think we really need. But I also don't like to be stuck indoors for any reason. So I made the decision to purchase each of us a pair of rain boots. Some thought it was wishful thinking since we haven't had much rain, but I knew we would put them to use eventually.

We dug through the recycling and found lots of containers to gather up rain water. Then we dug up some dirt from the empty planter bed. We spent the better part of the morning out in the front yard making mud and filling what ever we could find with rain water.

This part of the year may not be as challenging to get outside in our area as it is in some, but this is still a challenge that I feel strongly about taking on. More and more research is coming out on the benefits of outside play for children. Regular outside time is being studied as having positive effects on children's attention spans, sleep patterns and physical health. Making a commitment to allow for outside time as part of your every day schedule is a commitment to the health and well being of your child.
Thank you so much for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I love the rain boots. And "No bad weather, just bad clothes." So good to see children enjoying nature. I hope you'll visit my blog: Kindergarten for Teachers and Parents.

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.