Friday, January 6, 2012

Baby Play Friday

Last fall the we were introduced to Cloud Dough. I'm not sure who it was that brought this recipe to the attention of moms and preschool teachers all over the blog world, but one day, I woke up and cloud dough was everywhere (digitally speaking.) I put the idea in the back of my mind as something fun to pull out this winter. We don't usually get snow here. Maybe a day or two if we are lucky. We do get ice, but that is harder to play in. So I whipped up this little tub of Cloud Dough, or as we are calling it now, Snow Dough.
The recipe we used called for 8 parts flour to 1 part oil. The recipe didn't specify what kind of oil to use. We used baby oil and it smelled awesome! I kept the tub simple, giving them only a few cups and some winter animals. I wanted the tub to be more about the "snow" than about all the stuff in it.
Bug was excited as usual to join in. I set up a little tray of the stuff for him. He was so excited! He squished his little fingers in it, and then started filling all his little containers.
I am going to go on record and say that this is (almost) the messiest sensory tub we have ever made. I had to take the clothes the children were wearing out side and beat them against a wall to shake off all the flour. Maybe I didn't add enough oil. It was still fun! Bug entertained himself for the longest time and only took a break because he needed a nap. The girls played with the tub for an hour and a half! Amazing!

Okay, so I was thinking after my post Wednesday, that my baby is growing up. He is a big boy now, which breaks my heart just a bit, but as my father would say, "It's better than the alternative."

But I still in my heart of hearts want to continue with Baby Play Friday and so I thought of making a baby play linky. Folks from all over could share their posts focusing on the joys of babies and toddlers.

Would you like to participate?

Here is how...
Link your post focusing on babies or toddlers below using the linky tool.

Provide a link on your post back to mine. You can grab a button from the side bar, or use a text link.

...and you're done!

This is a brand new linky so it would be awesome if you would like to link this post to your facebook or twitter account, but it is not a requirement to link up (it would just be really, really awesome!) Remember, the more people who link up, the better recourse this will be to folks looking for information and ideas concerning babies and toddlers.
I have linked this post with...



7 comments:

  1. There isn't any code with your button so that I can put it on my blog without having to save the picture myself. Can you help with that please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is that I am obviously really terrible at code. I will work on fixing the problem as soon as I can get the kids to sleep. If you would like to do a text link for now, that would be awesome. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you at the Play Academy. I've tweeted a link to your Baby Play series - it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did snow dough this week but it was whilst my baby was napping as she's only 9 and a bit months old instead it was my toddler - he made snowmen with the stuff it was so soft to play with. I only have older baby posts that I could link up but I know that over the next few weeks I will have some under 1 play posts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up about cloud dough being really messy. Will have to prep extra hard (mentally and physically) before giving that one a go :P. Thanks for hosting this new linky! Very exciting stuff. xoxo P

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mess may have been due to three kids playing with the tub at once, and one of those three being a toddler. When Birdy played by herself, it wasn't nearly as messy.

    Thank you all so much for popping by and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this idea, it'll be interesting to see how my kids react to it, as we live in Australia and don't get any snow. It's a great way to expose my littlies to the concept!

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.