Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Rainbow Art Party

When some women are pregnant, they fantasize about nurseries. Some fantasize about names, some even fantasize about colleges. I fantasized about birthday parties. Before my first child had even been born, I planned out at least a half a dozen birthdays. I love birthday parties.

This week my Birdy celebrated her 5th birthday with a rainbow art party. I tried to get as many photos as I could, but unfortunately my camera picked today to start giving me problems. Some of the photos just didn't turn out. (sad face)


I started out with bright colorful decorations. We used balloons, rainbow colored tissue flowers, crepe paper, and bright colored table cloths to fill the space with lots of rainbow fun.

We invited a small number of her friends over to play at our house. I like to keep a manageable sized group if I'm going to be planning something super messy. We had about 8 kids show up and I think that was really perfect.

I set up several different activities for the party.

We had spin art...

We made "big" art using some unusual items to make prints with, such as potato mashers, plungers, rain boots, barbeque brushes, and loofahs...

We used a funnel to make pendulum art...

We also had a tub full of water beads, and we had a necklace making station with rainbow fruit loops...

And a face painting station...

Even with all the art activities we had some who were more interested in digging in dirt or in balloon volleyball. Go figure!

When it was time for cake, I let the kids do the decorating. I gave them a plain white sheet cake and small tubes of gel icing.


This is one of those pictures that I really wish had turned out. The inside of the cake was a beautiful rainbow of colors. Here is an example of the rainbow cake from another blog. To achieve the rainbow effect, simply separate your cake batter in to six bowls and use food coloring to dye the separate bowl fulls of batter in to different colors. Then pour them all in to the pan. Viola! Rainbow cake!

Birdy loved her party. She got to play and paint and make the BIGGEST messes! I think all of her friends had a good time too!

I linked this post with...

13 comments:

  1. Amazing party! I want to have an art party for myself! Great job :)

    Aleacia @ Dilly-Dali Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! That Pendulum painting? Totally doing that for next year's PTA Dance Background!!! ;-)

    Happy Birthday *A* very special *B*irdie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aleacia, I think the Dilly-Dali girls(including mama Dilly-Dali) need an art party it a big way! I bet you would have some great ideas!

    Kristen, Do you think the school would let us do it with the kids? It might be a fun???

    ReplyDelete
  4. ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness what a fun party. My daughter wants a rainbow-themed party for her birthday this year - you have given me a lot of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you made your daughters day. That is one amazing birthday party. Is that a salad spinner you are using to make spin art? And that pendulum painting. Brilliant! So very creative. You are an amazing mom to put together this really cool party. You are an inspiration.

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great ideas - I'm planning a rainbow art party for my daughter upcoming 5th birthday. Now I've got so many ideas! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want one just like it ;-) Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great party!! You did a fabulous job creating activities and organizing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what great fun - you couldn't be bored at that party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great fun! I bet the kids loved all the activities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Veronica it is a salad spinner. I don't think I have ever used a salad spinner for salad!
    Thanks for all the comments! It was a super fun party. It can be hard with a birthday in the middle of January to plan something like this, but we have lucked out and had beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great party! Absolutely love the idea of the kids decorating the cake themselves!

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.