Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Alphabet Matching

Birdy has been VERY into reading and writing lately. However, she was having trouble with her lowercase letters, so I threw together this little big matching activity for her. I strung up a clothesline which stretched around the room. On this line, I hung the entire lowercase alphabet. The girls were then given cards with the entire uppercase alphabet printed on them and they worked together to match them, with their lowercase counterparts.

CC has found a match!

While Birdy has become very interested in reading and writing, she has very little patience for sitting and "working". She prefers to be up and moving about, so activities like this are great for her learning style.

The clothes line stretched all the way around the room. The girls thought it was exciting, but I think my husband was happy to see it go!

 Poor Birdy was exasperated with all my picture taking.
 "Ugh..Mom! Leave me alone!"

The other part of this activity that I love is the collaboration that takes place. The girls worked together to match up all the letters. They would look at a card and discuss where it went. Working together to achieve a goal is what project based learning is all about!

I linked this post with Tuesday Tots.
and with Family Frolics

7 comments:

  1. I think this is a great way to teach upper and lower case letter pairings. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Tuesday Tots! I hope you will come by next week, and share what fun you have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way that you have created an activity which could have been imobile but geared it towards kinesetic learners - what a great idea I used to try and incorporate at least one movement activity per class when I was teaching as well.

    Thank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love how active this is, perfect for kinestic learners or just a fun way to burn off some energy while reinforcing letters at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great activity I may have to try this :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic idea. I just love how you have adapted this to suit Birdy's learning style. My little one is a kinesetic learner too. We'll definitely be trying this. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a brilliant kinaesthetic activity and just a genius idea! I have pinned this!

    Thanks for linking to Family Frolics

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea - love the way you used the whole room!

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.