Sunday, August 12, 2012
Back to School
Back to school time can fill us with a mix of emotions. It's an exciting time filled with new schools, new friends, new back packs and new crayons. It can also be a stressful time as your relaxing summer comes to an end. Here are a few tips to help you make a smooth transition.
1. Don't Shop for what you don't have to. Have a back to school fashion show. Let your little one show you all the outfits they already have. Remember to make it fun. Put on some fun music, dance around while you create your new looks. See what still fits from last year, donate what doesn't fit, and make a list of what you need. I always find that if I take the time to do this, my shopping list is a lot shorter than what I thought it was going to be.
2. Have a lunch taste test party. We pack our lunches and sometimes I get a little low on the lunch time inspiration. This trick really helps. Every year I set out a table full of small bite sized lunch items and let the kids try and vote on what they like. Sometimes they will surprise you. For instance, I found out that my oldest daughter loves pickle okra, Birdy likes orange tomatoes better than red, and Bug likes mustard and ham better than turkey and mayo. Need some ideas for your own taste testing party?
Try roasted red pepper instead of tomato
Try different kinds of bread. My kids like to eat sandwiches on bread rolls, tortillas, and pita bread.
Try a variety of fruits and veggies and dips.
Don't prejudge. Just because you don't like broccoli doesn't mean your child will not like it. Keep an open mind and let them explore.
3. Do you have a big kid starting middle school or high school? Make this simple handy dandy locker combo reminder bracelet so they will have one less thing to stress out about their first week at school. We made ours in our schools team colors. On one side she had her combination and on the other she had her locker number. You could make a similar one for your little ones that has a bike lock combination or their telephone number.
Need more back to school tips and tricks? Check out these other amazing blogs. Have some great ideas of your own? Link them up below!
1. The Educators' Spin On It
2. The Usual Mayhem
3. Mama Pea Pod
4. Projects for Preschoolers
5. Playdough to Plato
6. Edventures With Kids
7. Smiling like Sunshine
8. Kindergarten & Preschool for Parents & Teachers
9. Mommy and Me Book Club
10. Boy Mama Teacher Mama
11. Sense of Wonder (that's me!)